Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Paycheck

I watched a movie called Paycheck last weekend on TV. Ben Affleck plays a so-called 'reverse engineer' who looks into the latest technologies and finds out how it works. He then invents something that's even better. When the job is done, all memory in this working period is erased. One day his childhood friend and billionaire Jimmy offers him a job he can't resist. It takes 3 years and the pay is a huge. When he gets his paycheck, he learns that he actually gave up all the money (90 million dollars) in exchange of 20 items that seemed worthless. He must use these items to reconstruct his memory, cuz someone is trying to take his life.

A typical John Woo (吳宇森) movie to me. There are several scenes with 2 people pointing guns at each other, and his trade-mark white dove flying in slow motion. Can I just say stupid? That was just so old.

However, something struck me a little bit. In the movie, Rachel (Thurman) asked Michael (Affleck) if he believes in second chances. (He doesn't, but somehow it's what saves his life.) Do I believe in second chances? Have I been given second chances in our life? Should people be given second chances?

Everyone's got his own answer, I think.

No comments: